Monday, February 19, 2018

A New Work in Progress

I've had this support (canvas) prepped for months. Gesso'd black, sitting on an easel, staring me in the face from across my studio, waiting. I've been working on a series of colorful textured abstracts, bright, bold colors, right out of the tube. My color vision due to my M.S. has been fading fast. Some days my vision is limited to shades of gray. It comes and goes. Luckily though, so far, it has come back. (Not as good as it originally was, I suspect...) My fear is that some day it will not, so although working with these bright colors is not my passion, I am doing it out of some sense of obligation. If somehow someday I loose my color vision for good, I won't have a sense of regret for never having at least experimented with it. 

In the midst of my self imposed immersion into to color, and having probably been subconsciously affected by this large black-gesso'd canvas that has been staring at me from across the studio wanting for attention, I took a night off from my work and went to an opening. It was a huge event. (unbeknownst to me, I hate crowds lately.) The opening was held at one of our growing Art centers here on Cape Cod, the Cotuit Center for the Arts. A former instructor of mine Betty Carroll Fuller was having a show. I really admire her work and as an instructor, I found her inspiring. So despite the crowd, I stuck it out. There was some color in this show, but the works that I found myself drawn towards were neutrals and metallics. A series by Betty called "Night Music" really spoke to my muses, and upon returning home that night I started to work on this painting. It isn't done yet. I can see where it is going, and I like it. With the fatigue from this damned disease, the paintings don't come out quite as quickly as they used to, so there are a few more sessions until I can even pause and contemplate it. But here is a preview. If you have any feedback, I'd love to hear it!

Abstract painting, neutrals, black, copper, gold
Untitled Abstract
Latex and plaster on Mahogany panel
48" x 36" x 2"

No comments:

Post a Comment